Monday, May 24, 2010

Why I Love Me Some Anderson Cooper

This is my first installment on people I admire. I cannot and would not like to emulate every aspect of their lives. So I hope I am astute and intelligent enough to chose the ones that will help me lead a better life.

Rod Hairston, in his book "Are You Up For The Challenge?" states: "We all have a different cast of roles for our own life, so we need to emulate different people. Figure out everything in your life that you want and the roles you have to play in order to bring those elements into your life."

OK. When you look at Anderson, you are immediately aware of his patrician good looks. The silver hair and the icy blue eyes that can transfix you as they thoughtfully focus. And being from the Vanderbilt lineage, he's practically American royalty, and his globe trotting adventures routinely land him in still yet another country experiencing a fresh crisis.

"What most people are running away from, I am running towards." Surely this is one of Anderson's most remarkable statements.

And yes, I would like an equivalent of Anderson's job. He has a smorgasbord of program content and is equally adept at each one. Whether he is broadcasting from a far-flung country suffering a disaster where he skillfully guides his audience to also experience the suffering of the people involved. Or extolling the pros and cons of the political arena, interviewing a celebrity or covering world news. He also does thought provoking pieces, such as the study of Children's Racial Biases. Something that has been around for years, but rarely has had such a big platform and in-depth look.

The CNN news anchor asks pointed questions and seems fearless as he verbally jousts with his guests.

I am on the outside looking in, but what I want to see is a person who has a job that is never boring and no constraints are placed on his creativity.

While Anderson's demeanor is no-nonsense as he reports serious news, he is a man of many colors. A virtual kaleidoscope. When the situation is appropriate, he can go from staid to downright goofy. Always able to poke fun at himself, he is a true wit and mimic with a great sense of humor, as evidenced from his co-hosting duties on Regis and Kathy and appearances on Jeopardy.(What happened??)

Anderson I believe your journalistic skills are unrivaled. That's why I'm not only posting this locally and globally, but interplanetary as well.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to know that you feel the same way I do about Anderson Cooper & I don't even want his job! I like the same characteristics about him that you do. I find him to be an especially caring person. He seems so humble to have come from a wealthy family.

    I believe he was one of the first journalists to tell the story of Rwanda.

    ReplyDelete